How to Select a Chihuahua Puppy
Chihuahuas have many endearing qualities: fierce loyalty, happy temperament and adorable looks are just a few! It is no wonder Chihuahuas are such a popular companion breed. To get the best experience, it makes sense to shop carefully for a healthy, happy dog. Here are a few important things to consider when shopping for a suitable Chihuahua. Keep these Chihuahua puppy selection tips in mind to help you select a pet you’ll love for a lifetime:
- Go With Your Gut Feeling: First impressions are important. Which Chihuahua catches your attention first? Puppies from a responsible breeder or store will hopefully be healthy, but take a few minutes to ensure your selection is suitable: happy and healthy.
- Middle of the Pack: Watch how the puppies interact with one another when they’re alone together for a few minutes. It is a good idea to avoid bullies or timid pups. These traits can turn into behavior problems later on.
- Eye Cues: Check the puppies’ eyes. Healthy dogs have bright, alert eyes free from mucous. Tears are OK, but gummy discharge is a bad sign.
- Coat Check: A glossy coat of fur, smooth to the touch is a good sign of a healthy puppy. On the other hand, bald areas on the sides or back is an indication of poor health.
- Smooth Moves: Healthy pups are agile and quick. When active, they should appear bouncy rather than weak. All puppies tend to be a little bit clumsy, but a sick puppy may appear unusually weak.
- Nose and Breathing: Listen to the pup’s breathing. It should be quiet and regular. The nostrils may be wet, but they should be clear of mucous.